Wednesday, January 14, 2015

David Bann Restaurant

David Bann is an Edinburgh institution, representing vegetarian cooking at its best.  Known for good service and surprisingly tasty food, this is a great destination for vegetarians and meat eaters.  The restaurant immediately offered a separate menu, with scribbles in all the right places to enable easy gluten free choices.

There is a good range of gluten free food and my choice was not limited.  I started with a very good stack polenta and roasted vegetables (I really do have to get into the habit of photographing my food before I dive in) and a main course of risotto (with the mushroom element left out, naturally).


The risotto was a healthy portion and despite missing a main ingredient, for me was sufficiently tasty that I pretty much finished my plate.  My teenage boy (who eats gluten fine) ate the goats cheese and onion tartlet very quickly, followed by a cashew nut and potato pie.  He was then too full for pudding, which represents a win!

Side orders included some very tasty and gluten free chips with dips:


The puddings look good and my dining companies tucked in happily, while I was too full after my risotto.

Overall I would say this is good dining for a coeliac and the restaurant is good at giving clarity around choices.  As a keen meat and fish eater I would not automatically choose to eat just vegetarian and my concern was that it was removing even more GF choices from my menu, but actually I was happy with it all.

Again, this is not a cheap option for a restaurant. It comes in at around £30 a head, which will be steep for many people, but I highly recommend it - particularly for the gluten free vegetarian.

SCORES
Information: 4
Serving Staff: 4 (I was accidentally given a bread roll)
Choices: 3.5
Quality: 5
Overall Experience: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment