Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Quick Lunch at Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh

My speedy lunch yesterday is probably not sufficient for a full-on review.  However, I ate at the Hotel du Vin Bistro which is within the five star Hotel of the same name and the experience was, on the whole, good.  In a slightly uneasy location on an island in the middle of a one way loop, the Hotel may have trouble with pick up and drop off for guests - and I am confused about where they might park.... but the Hotel and its rooms are lovely and full of character.

Anyway, to the restaurant.  As it is January and it was a working lunch, we had a quick main course followed by a cup of peppermint tea.

I ate the cod with puy lentils and my gluten eating friend had liver and mashed potato, which looked delicious, though possibly quite filling for lunch!  My cod was well cooked and really hot, which on a cold January day was very welcome.  The waiter, on being told I was coeliac, checked my choice with the kitchen and they cooked my cod without the breadcrumb crust.  It was delicious and meaty and filling, with a very tasty buttery bowl of thinly sliced carrots on the side.  This was a meal that was good on its own and I certainly did not feel I was eating a compromise option.

With plenty of water and a nice cup of peppermint tea, this was the ideal speedy lunch.  My only criticism of the restaurant might be that the waiter did not know the gluten free options automatically and had to check with the kitchen.  Other restaurants I have dined in have a specific menu with information written in it which allows you to make your choice in an easier and more relaxed way.  I also noticed there were no main course salads on the menu - I know it is January, but a salad is a good lunch option and is usually my first choice.

This is a restaurant I go to fairly frequently with my family, so will definitely return.  At that time I shall do a proper review with full scores.




I did remember to photograph my meal this time!  But it was only after I had eaten it that I remembered that you need to check puy lentil packets as some are produced using an anti-caking agent which can contain wheat.  Marks & Spencer puy lentils are not suitable, whereas the Merchant Gourmet ones are.  Reading the ingredients box has become my new obsession!

Hotel du Vin
11 Bristo Place
Edinburgh EH1 1EZ
0844 735 4255
www.hotelduvin.com/edinburgh




No comments:

Post a Comment